Police Officer 1
Work performed in investigating crimes and accidents, protecting property, facilities, citizens, staff and students by law enforcement.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patrols the campus by foot or motor vehicle. Investigates suspected crimes, reports findings, and arrests suspected individuals.
- Investigates accidents involving persons or property, reports probable cause of accidents, and pursues appropriate course of action.
- Directs and controls traffic.
- Testifies in court or legal proceedings.
- May Issue citations for traffic and parking violations.
- Operates and maintains law enforcement equipment.
- Keeps records and makes reports
- Supplemental Functions: All incumbents are expected to perform these functions except for those qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act for a reasonable accommodation. Incumbents may provide backup to various functions within the unit. May be required to perform related clerical tasks as assigned Performs other work as assigned
- Direction Received: Employees work under general supervision. Advice and guidance are available from the supervisor as needed for complex issues or exceptions to policy.
- Direction Given: Some direction may be given to non-sworn security personnel, otherwise none given.
Currently certified or able to obtain certification as a police officer by the Tennessee POST Commission. Must be in good standing employed by a law enforcement agency OR employed within the previous five years as a Tennessee POST Commission certified police officer that left their agency in good standing.
Meets the requirements of TCA 38-8-106. Qualifications of Police Officers:
(1) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) Be a citizen of the United States;
(3) Be a high school graduate or possess equivalency;
(4) Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances;
(5) Not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States;