Police Civilian Investigative Specialist
This is a Civilian position that provides technical investigative support work to include conducting police candidate background investigations, crime analysis other investigative support duties as assigned for the Criminal Investigation Division within the Police Department.
Salary Range: $17.40/hour
• Conduct and assist in background investigations, which provide comprehensive coverage of basic suitability, loyalty and security, for the purpose of determining candidate’s suitability for employment with the city of DeLand Police Department.
• Conducts comprehensive in person interviews with the subject of the investigation, employers, associates, neighbors, references and other knowledgeable individuals and reviews appropriate records to obtain the facts needed to establish the background, reputation, character, suitability and qualifications of the candidate.
• Conducts investigations initiated to resolve questions of employment eligibility developed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the City of DeLand Police Department and the City of DeLand Human Resources Department.
• Perform record searches at police agencies, courthouses, educational/financial institutions and medical/mental health facilities.
• Operates a computer terminal.
• Report results of the investigation in the specified format.
• Reports to crime scene as directed by supervisor
• Receives and logs evidence and property as assigned.
• Submits evidence to crime lab as assigned.
• Testifies in court and prepares court documents for court presentation/cases.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and /or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED, and Four (4) years of general experience conducting military, local, state, or federal law enforcement INVESTIGATIVE functions within the last five (5) years; OR Three (3) years of experience specifically conducting background investigations as a local, state, or federal (includes Dept. of Defense) law enforcement officer. The employee must be in possession of a valid Florida driver's license upon being hired. A comparable amount of education, training, or experience may be substituted for minimum requirements.