$98,204 – $156,182 DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County’s Police Department seeks an individual to perform high level official and administrative work providing leadership for the Police Department and the community and developing and administering programs and systems to support and promote high performance strategies to meet organizational needs.
- Directs and manages preventative and emergency programs to ensure the protection of lives for the County.
- Collaborates and serves with other leaders on the County executive team; advises Board of Supervisors and advocates for citizens of the County.
- Ensures the protection of lives and property and the maintenance of public peace in the County by planning and directing the programs and operations of the Police Department through the various Division Commanders; keeps abreast of changes in policy or law related to police activities; determines required changes in operating procedures and implements revisions.
- Meets with citizens and community organizations to address concerns or provide information; evaluates needs for programs, facilities, equipment and personnel; develops and presents budget requests and formulates policy recommendations; requests adjustments in County budgetary allocations, as needed.
- Plans and manages Police Department efforts in areas of emergency management; works cooperatively with County departments and regional agencies to coordinate optimum provision of services; serves as a member of the James City County Executive Leadership Team to further the County mission, goals and values through the work of the Police Department.
- Models and ensures appropriate workplace behavior that reflects the values of James City County and the Police Department; represents program goals, objectives, and needs before local, state and federal agencies, community groups and public.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a master’s degree in Political Science, Criminal Justice, Public Administration or related field; extensive experience in State or local government law enforcement in a managerial capacity; executive development course such as the FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute or PELS preferred.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days after hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Must meet all qualifications as set forth in the Code of Virginia, Chapter 17, §15.2-1705.
- Knowledge of leadership techniques, principles and procedures to assign work, schedule, supervise, train and evaluate the work of assigned staff; and, of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to supervise supervisory, professional, and general staff; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to individuals, groups and the general public; lead teams and facilitate groups; make sound decisions; establish and maintain working relationships with employees, department heads, County officials and representatives from the private sector or other jurisdictions and the public.