Police Academy Trainee
Under direct supervision and tutorage of a tactical officer, develops an awareness of the functions, activities, and responsibilities of a Police Officer.
Salary: $5,152.00 – $6,264.00 Monthly
• Meet standards of physical stature, endurance, and agility established by the City.
• Observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places.
• Think and act quickly in emergencies, and judge situations and people accurately.
• Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Maintain prompt and regular attendance.
• Perform all duties within the context of the City’s Mission Statement and Organizational Values.
This position requires current enrollment/attendance in a P.O.S.T. certified Police Training Academy or must have previously graduated from a P.O.S.T. certified Police Training Academy and possess a valid P.O.S.T. Police Training Academy Certificate. The P.O.S.T. certified Police Officer Training Academy is designed to provide a comprehensive overview of the criminal justice system and specialized training in various laws, Police practices and procedures, law enforcement techniques, First Aid, physical conditioning, and participate in departmental training/orientation programs. Upon successful completion of a Police Officer training class, Police Academy Trainees will be appointed to and sworn in as a probationary entry level Police Officer with full Police authority.
• Criminal justice system, police practices, and procedures.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Use and care for firearms.
• Learn, understand, and interpret laws and regulations.
• Learn standard broadcasting procedures of a Police radio system.
• High School Diploma or G.E.D. (required).
• Current enrollment and attendance in a P.O.S.T. certified Police Officer training academy OR have graduated within the past year from a P.O.S.T. certified Police Training Academy (required).
• Supplemental Police Science courses (desirable).
• None required.
• Current enrollment and attendance in a P.O.S.T. certified Police Training Academy OR must have previously graduated from a P.O.S.T. certified Police Training Academy and possess a valid P.O.S.T. Police Training Academy Certificate (required).
• Job specific training will be provided according to class specification during work hours.
• Possess a valid California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record.
• Receive satisfactory results from a background investigation, polygraph test, psychological evaluation, a physical examination, which includes a drug screen, and an administrative review.
Category IV Public Safety: Positions in this category are involved in active public safety duties, which involve the safeguarding of individuals, public and property. Incumbents are required to meet the physical standards to insure the ability to carry out this responsibility.
Characteristics: Positions in this category are actively and principally engaged in the enforcement of public laws or in protecting the public from physical harm and danger. The positions typically included in this category are peace officers and firefighters, whose every day duties place high priority and demands on top physical fitness and agility.
• Moderate Lifting: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting, pushing, and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
• Heavy Lifting: Lifting over 50 lbs. with frequent lifting, pushing, and/or carrying of objects weighing over 25 lbs.
• Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, ramps, scaffolding, poles and the like; using feet and legs, and/or hands and arms.
• Reaching: Reaching above the shoulders to place and/or retrieve objects.
• Walking: Ability to walk for prolonged periods of time (usually a minimum of two or more hours per day)
• Standing: Ability to stand with little movement for long periods of time (usually a minimum of two or more hours per day)
• Sitting: Ability to sit with little movement for long periods of time (usually a minimum of two or more hours per day)
• Agility: Ability to move quickly and easily, often including the ability to crawl, stoop or bend.
• Color Vision: Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
• Distant Vision (Excellent): Without correction, vision not less than 20/40 in each eye, which must correct to 20/20 in one eye and not less than 20/25 in the other eye.
• Distant Vision (Acceptable for Driving): Not less than 20/40 in each eye without correction or must correct to 20/40 in each eye and wear corrective lenses whenever driving.
• Temperatures: Work in temperatures sufficiently high or low enough to cause marked bodily discomfort.
• Fumes: Potential inhalation or contact with smoke, vapors, dust or gases.
• Work Environment - Outdoors: Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
• Work Environment - Moving Objects: Ability to work around moving objects, machinery or vehicles.
• Work Environment - Surfaces: Ability to walk on slippery or uneven surfaces.
• Heights: Ability to work on surfaces above 20 feet.