The Valparaiso Police Department is a professional, progressive, innovative police department that is always seeking individuals to join our team. Available on this page includes a link for a job description, the expectations of a Valparaiso Police Officer and a link for an application.
Essential Position Functions
• Work the hours of his/her shift, with those hours being designated by Chief of Police.
• Enforce all laws and ordinances, using reasonable and prudent judgment when arresting violators of these laws and ordinances.
• Serve the public and protect both life and property.
• Represent the department in a positive image, being respectful towards citizens and violators regardless of race, religion, age, or gender.
• Report to the department for roll call, being punctual and giving attention to all reports, orders, instructions and special assignments.
• Operate his/her police car in a safe manner, obeying all traffic laws and operating at a speed within which he/she can perform patrol duties. When operating in emergency mode, the patrol office will drive with caution and follow all departmental policy/procedure on emergency runs.
• Will be assigned to a district and shall patrol that district looking to prevent crime. He/she will patrol their respective district until the end of their tour of duty for that shift.
• Will take all calls assigned to him/her in their district, perform traffic enforcement, effect arrest, and perform all police related duties during the course of their shift.
The minimum requirements to be considered for this opportunity are that the applicant must:
- Be 21-39 years of age
- Hold a high school diploma or GED
- Be a United States Citizen
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Have no prior felony convictions