Patrol Officer – Recruit and Lateral Transfer
Working under the direction of the Sergeant of Uniform/Operations Division, incumbent patrols an assigned area on foot, motorcycle or in an automobile, to prevent crime or disturbances of the peace, to respond to calls for assistance and to arrest violators when necessary.
Pay Rate: $24.8463 per hour
• Patrols assigned areas of the city, and familiarizes self with the area, persons, routines, etc. so as to note suspicious persons and/or events and report irregularities to superior officers;
• Answers calls for service involving disturbances, property crimes, traffic problems, alarm calls, or any other hazards involving public safety;
• Enforces all laws applicable within City limits;
• Conducts crime scene investigations and completes reports on same;
• Effectively enforces the laws of the State of Indiana;
• Appears in court as witness and as arresting officer;
• Directs or reroutes traffic in cases of emergencies;
• Ability to read and understand policies, rules, regulations, laws, instructions and police literature;
• Analyzes situations and adopt quick, effective, reasonable courses of action;
• Writes clear, accurate reports;
• Expresses self orally in an authoritative manner, when necessary;
• Drives an automobile safely and efficiently;
• Learns the care and use of firearms;
• Keen observation and the ability to remember names, faces and details;
• Physical agility and the ability to meet all prerequisites for age, weight, eyesight, height and physical and psychological capabilities;
• Possess the ability to carry a Department approved firearm and demonstrate proficiency in its use. Must be capable to physically engage to make a forcible arrest;
• Solves neighborhood concerns by working with citizens to gain input and advice so that a suitable course of action can be planned and implemented;
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Any combination of education or experience equivalent to graduation from high school and six months of experience working with people;
• Specialized courses may be necessary when assignments require specific courses or knowledge.
• Must possess the ability to carry a Department approved firearm and demonstrate proficiency in its use. Must be capable of making forcible arrests when and if necessary.