Patrol Officer – In state applications only
Lateral Police Officer candidates are experienced full-time police officers currently employed by other municipal, county, or state agencies, as a law enforcement officer, with Indiana Law Enforcement Training Academy Certification Tier 1. Lateral Applicants are required to be in good standing with their current agency.
Patrols assigned area in vehicle and on foot; maintains high patrol visibility to assist in crime prevention; actively performs routine beat patrol, concentrating on high incident areas, to detect possible criminal activities or needs for service; regularly checks businesses and residential areas; monitors radio broadcasts by Communications and other officers to ensure awareness of activities in area and to provide assistance, if needed; identifies, reports, and responds to suspicious activities or other needs for service. Investigates conditions hazardous to life or property; conducts initial investigations of crime and crime scenes; may assist detectives in criminal investigation work. Conducts search and seizure activities as appropriate. Collects and preserves crime scene and evidence. Arrests and/or detains suspected violators of the law. Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved. Testifies and presents evidence in judicial settings.
*Must have Indiana Law Enforcement Training Academy –Tier 1 Certification
* Employed full-time as a Sworn Law Enforcement Officer with a County, State, or Municipal Law Enforcement Agency with their primary role as a Patrol Officer assigned to similar job responsibilities as listed above.
* High School Diploma or HSE required;
* Must be a resident citizen of the United States;
* Must be 21 years old and not have reached their 40th birthday by date of appointment; unless currently a Member of Indiana PERF 1977 (Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Pension and Disability Fund)
* Cannot have a felony conviction;
* Cannot have a misdemeanor conviction involving domestic violence under [18 USC §922 (g)]; HB10062
* Must possess a valid Indiana driver’s license;
* Must be a resident of the state of Indiana at time of appointment.
* Cannot have been dishonorably discharged from the military;