Park Police Trainee
Located with the Parks & Recreation department the Park Police Trainee will attend and complete an in-service and field training program in police science.
Upon successful completion of academy and on-the-job training, Park Police employee are automatically moved into the Park Police 1 classification and begins a six-month probationary period.
Metro’s Parks and Recreation Department has something for everyone through its variety of strategically placed facilities and programs. Parks offers cultural arts and fitness classes, dog parks and nature programs and 16,000 acres of open space, including 121 parks and 19 greenways. Ice hockey, sports leagues, art galleries and much more are among the offerings. Parks is a fun place where there’s always something going on.
This position is with the Parks & Recreation Department, and performs law enforcement work such as, controlling traffic flow, enforcing state and local laws, and traffic regulations for all park areas and facilities.
• Performing crime prevention and law enforcement duties throughout the Metropolitan Park System.
• Patrolling an assigned area in an automobile, on foot, horse, bike, or ATV vehicle.
• Monitoring parks, playgrounds, greenways and other park property for illegal activities.
• Assisting citizens to ensure the use of parks is safe and enjoyable.
• Intervening in private or public disputes to protect the public and maintain order.
• Making arrests, issuing citations, giving verbal warnings, directing traffic, and assisting with crowd control, as needed.
• Appearing in court as required.
At least sixty (60) semester hours of course work from an accredited college or university with an overall Grade Point Average of 2.0 ("C" Average) or above
High school diploma or equivalent plus one of the following:
At least two (2) years active military duty (Honorable Discharge)
At least two (2) years as a full-time, certified (Tennessee P.O.S.T. Certification or equivalent State certification) active law enforcement officer
5 years responsible work experience