Park Police Trainee
This position is with the Parks & Recreation Department, and performs law enforcement work such as, controlling traffic flow, enforcing state and local laws, and traffic regulations for all park areas and facilities. The Park Police Trainee will attend and complete an in-service and field training program in police science.
Park Police Trainee employees are paid at step 1 of grade PK01 $43,104.93 to $55,616.46 while attending the Police Training Academy. After successful completion of the academy, employees are reclassified to Park Police 1 (PK01) at Step 2 $44,495.11.
- Performing crime prevention and law enforcement duties throughout the Metropolitan Park System.
- Patrolling an assigned area in an automobile, on foot, horse, bike, or ATV vehicle.
- Monitoring parks, playgrounds, greenways and other park property for illegal activities.
- Assisting citizens to ensure the use of parks is safe and enjoyable.
- Intervening in private or public disputes to protect the public and maintain order.
- Making arrests, issuing citations, giving verbal warnings, directing traffic, and assisting with crowd control, as needed.
- Appearing in court as required.
At least sixty (60) semester hours of course work from an accredited college or university with an overall Grade Point Average of 2.0 (“C” Average) or above.
High school diploma or equivalent, plus one of the following:
- At least two (2) years active military duty (Honorable Discharge)
- At least two (2) years as a full-time, certified (Tennessee P.O.S.T. Certification or equivalent State certification) active law enforcement officer*
- Three (3) years responsible work experience