Non-Sworn Police Officer Recruit
Under close supervision learns the necessary skills and knowledge required to become a Police Officer; becomes familiar with the Rules and Regulations of the Police Department; and performs related work as required. May also train as a Telecommunications Operator and Emergency Care Attendant (ECA).
May perform under close supervision a wide variety of police support, crime prevention and community service activities. Incumbents perform duties in accordance with state statutes and established departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines. Performs related work as required.
- Attends a Police Training Academy under the rules and regulations established for such attendance by the Police Department and the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
Attends department sponsored training as directed which may include but not limited to Telecommunications Operator, Emergency Care Attendant (ECA) and department Mini-Academy.
- Participates in exercises designed to develop law enforcement skills and community policing skills.
- Attends classes.
- Performs physical skill exercises.
- May be required to operate a motor vehicle.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in the Department and City attendance policies and procedures; ensures all behaviors comply with the Department's General Orders and City's Personnel Rules and Regulations.
- Assists other employees as needed.
- Informs supervisor of all work activities.
• All applicants for sworn positions must:
• Be at least 21 years of age or older.
• Be fingerprinted and undergo state, local and national criminal records check.
• Not be on court-ordered community supervisor or probation for any criminal offense.
• Not have been convicted of a Class B misdemeanor or above within the last five (5) years.
• Not have been convicted of any prior felonies.
• Be of good moral character.
• Be subjected to a thorough, comprehensive background investigation and interview.
• Be a high school graduate or equivalent or have twelve (12) semester hours credit from an accredited college or university.
• Must pass state medical, mental, polygraph and drug testing requirements.
• Not have been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions.
• Have an insurable driving record according to the city's insurance policy.
• Not have been convicted of more than five (5) moving violations within the past three (3) years.
• Have no prior DWI convictions.
• Be truthful in responses in their application and personal history statement.
• Any false statement made by the applicant shall be grounds for immediate rejection or termination if discovered after date of hire.