Non Certified Police Officer
9/30/2022 5:00 PM Eastern
NATURE OF WORK
This is generalized law enforcement and public safety work in the prevention of crime, protection of life and property, and apprehension of criminal offenders.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- When assigned to uniform zones: initiates preliminary investigation of incidents requiring police action; preserves the crime scene; renders first aid; interviews subjects and witnesses; searches for and arrests offenders; records all relevant facts; appears in court; patrols every area of assigned zone as often as possible, giving particular attention to crime hazard areas; applies knowledge of state statutes, departmental policies, rules and regulations and standard operating procedures to situations which occur; promptly takes appropriate action against all persons who are seen violating the law; assists persons who are lost, senile or mentally deficient and makes proper dispositions; takes lost, stolen or abandoned property into custody and makes disposition of same; enforces traffic laws and conducts accident investigations; patrols assigned area to eliminate the opportunity for crime to occur; responds to and attempts to settle domestic disturbances or refers individuals involved to appropriate social agency; advises citizens on protection of self and property; maintains an awareness of active felons in assigned area, their whereabouts and methods of operation.
- When assigned as School Resource Officer in the schools: investigates criminal complaints reported/occurring in assigned schools; conducts accident and criminal investigation on the scene; inspects establishments suspected of contributing to school crime for the purpose of detecting conditions of prostitution, vice or gambling; interviews necessary persons to elicit information regarding crimes involving students; prepares court cases and appears in court as a prosecution witness; develops a friendly relationship with students and parents; counsels students and parents on school related and personal problems; refers students and parents to an appropriate social agency for help if necessary; assists in locating missing or wanted students; assists in the recovery of stolen school property; performs routine patrol or other duties when necessary; maintains necessary records; prepares reports; make crime prevention presentations.
- When assigned to the selective enforcement unit; participates in crowd and traffic control of major events; assists vice control section in investigation and enforcement; assists Vice Control in investigation and enforcement activities; utilizes informants in latent investigations; participates in stakeouts and surveillance of burglary and robbery targets in high crime areas; works in conjunction with federal, state, and other local agencies to coordinate joint police activities; protects political candidates and other dignitaries.
- The Police Officer also performs various clerical and administrative tasks and provides numerous human services, general information, and assistance to the public. Performs related work as required.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a GED. equivalency diploma.
- Proof of highest level of completed education must be submitted with application
- Ability to meet all requirements of the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission
- Must have passed C.J.B.A.T. (Test results valid within four (4) years of application submittal)
- Must pass swimming and physical agility exam (Must be taken at Broward College Institute of Public Safety. Physical Agility test results are valid for six (6) months). Swim test results are valid for life
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must obtain a valid Florida driver’s license prior to hire.