Maintenance Officer (Correctional Facility)
Nature of Work
Troubleshoot, inspect, repair and perform preventative maintenance on security mechanisms, plumbing equipment, electrical devices, and air conditioning and heating systems; oversee contractors who come in to perform repairs; supervise inmates on details; perform other duties as assigned.
Examples of Duties
- Troubleshoot, inspect, repair and replace security mechanisms, including door locks, sliding gates, card readers, etc.
- Troubleshoot, inspect, repair and replace CCTV cameras, Desa DVR recording system, TOA intercom system, GateKeeper Access Control System, including card readers.
- Troubleshoot, inspect, repair and replace plumbing devices; unclog sanitation drains to remove obstructions.
- Troubleshoot, inspect, repair and replace or install electrical devices, wiring circuits to include wall receptacles and switches, circuit breakers, lighting fixtures, etc.
- Troubleshoot, inspect, and repair, if possible, the combination air conditioning/heating rooftop units, boilers, hot water heaters and all associated piping.
- Oversee contractors who come to perform requested service, repairs or installations.
- Supervise inmates during various details including landscaping, mowing, changing fixtures like light bulbs, floor or ceiling tiles, snow removal, etc.
- Maintain inventory of tools.
- Keep supervisor and relevant others informed of issues in a timely fashion.
- Maintain positive relationships with detention center staff, vendors, contractors and inmates.
- Keep informed on current maintenance practices by attending workshops and educational programs or reading specialized literature.
- Attend meetings and participates in various teams when needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.