Law Enforcement Trainee – 2023
$60,474.00 – $105,925.00 Annually
The Coral Springs Police Department has a diverse workforce, with an authorized strength of 225 police officers and 99 civilian members, who are dedicated to providing the highest level of professional service to our citizens, businesses and the visitors we serve. We are nationally accredited, as an Accreditation with Excellence Agency in both Law Enforcement and Communications, through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) as well as a Meritorious Agency at the state level through the Florida Commission for Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA).
Examples of Duties
The Law Enforcement Trainee position is designed for candidates who meet the Coral Springs Police Department’s education requirement but do not possess the required experience to automatically qualify as a Law Enforcement Officer. Additionally, the Law Enforcement Trainee position offers an opportunity for candidates who have served 2 years in the military and have earned a minimum of 60 college credits to become sworn Law Enforcement Officers. The Coral Springs Police Department only hires Law Enforcement Trainees who are prepared to become Law Enforcement Officers immediately upon successful completion of the Police Academy. Law Enforcement Trainees are immediately sworn-in and promoted to Law Enforcement Officers upon successful completion of the Police Academy and their base salary is increased to $67,193.
- Enforces vehicle parking and operating laws; issues and explains citations for violations.
- Assists Law Enforcement Officers with investigations of wanted and missing persons, and stolen property; assists in the preparation of police reports.
- Directs traffic and assists pedestrians at intersections.
- Prepares various daily and periodic written reports and departmental forms; maintains logs; completes forms; prepares speed reports.
- Assists with natural disaster preparedness and emergency response; directs evacuation traffic.
- Assists with animal control services.
- Attends training academy, training sessions and seminars as directed.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college, OR
- Two years of active duty in the Military AND a minimum of 60 credit hours from an accredited college in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree.
- All candidates that qualify for the reduced 60 college credit requirement must sign a contract agreeing to complete their Bachelor’s Degree within 5 years of hire.
- Credits must be degree seeking credits not attained as a result of Police Academy attendance.
- Meet the requirements outlined for Law Enforcement Officers pursuant to Florida State Statute and meet minimum standards as set forth by the Broward College Institute of Public Safety and the City of Coral Springs.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and a United States Citizen.
- Possess a current valid Florida driver’s license and acceptable driving record.