Law Enforcement Officer (Certified Police Officer)
$69,881.00 – $110,162.00 Annually
The Coral Springs Police Department has a diverse workforce, with an authorized strength of 225 police officers and 99 civilian members, who are dedicated to providing the highest level of professional service to our citizens, businesses and the visitors we serve. We are nationally accredited, as an Accreditation with Excellence Agency in both Law Enforcement and Communications, through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) as well as a Meritorious Agency at the state level through the Florida Commission for Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA).
Under direction of a Police Sergeant, performs general duty police work involving crime detection, prevention and investigation. Employee functions at journey staff level to perform law enforcement duties and is responsible for protecting the lives and property of citizens. Specific assignments are received from a Police Sergeant or superior officer, however, employee must be capable of reacting with considerable independent judgment and initiative in dealing with routine and emergency situations. Enforces vehicle parking and operating laws; issues and explains citations for violations.
To be considered for the position of Law Enforcement Officer, candidates MUST meet one of the following criteria exactly as stated:
- Hold certification as a Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Florida AND a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college as recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Hold certification as a Law Enforcement Officer (Florida or elsewhere within the U.S.) AND a minimum of two-years of experience (not including time spent in the Police Academy) as a Law Enforcement Officer in a full-time capacity AND hold a MINIMUM of an Associate’s Degree/60-College Credits* towards a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university as recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Current enrollment in an FDLE approved Police Academy with graduation scheduled within 90 days AND hold a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university as recognized by the United States Department of Education.
* Certified Law Enforcement candidates must hold a minimum of an Associate’s Degree/60-College Credits at the time of application to be considered for hire, regardless of years of experience. Candidates approved for hire with an Associate’s Degree/60- College Credits must sign a contract committing to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree within 5-years of hire.
In addition to the above criteria, candidates must meet all of the following:
- Meet the requirements outlined for Law Enforcement Officers pursuant to Florida State Statute and meet minimum standards as set forth by the Broward College Institute of Public Safety and the City of Coral Springs
- Must be at least 21 years of age and a United States Citizen
- Possess a current valid Florida driver’s license and acceptable driving record