Lateral/Pre-Service Police Officer
Under direction from higher level Police Department supervisory or management staff, perform law enforcement and crime prevention work; control traffic flow and enforce State and local traffic regulations; perform investigative work; participate in and provide support and assistance to special crime prevention and enforcement programs; establish, grow, and preserve positive relationships between the community and the Police Department; and perform a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of the department.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING GUIDELINES:
LATERAL POLICE OFFICER (Must possess at least a Basic P.O.S.T. Certificate)
PRE-SERVICE POLICE OFFICER (Recent graduation or current enrollment in Academy)
At least 21 years of age upon completion of the basic police academy.
Must meet the standards recommended by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.
Be legally authorized to work in the United States under federal law.
Be a high school graduate, pass the General Education Development Test or other high school equivalency test approved by the State Department of Education that indicates high school graduation level, pass the California High School Proficiency Examination, or have attained a two-year, four-year, or advanced degree from an accredited college or university.
Police Officer Requirements
- Experience: Successful completion of a P.O.S.T. certified basic police academy or equivalent.
- License or Certificate: Possession of, and continuously throughout employment, a valid California Class “C” Driver’s License or equivalent. Possess and maintain a P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate within eighteen months of employment as a Police Officer.
Police Officer w/Intermediate Certificate Requirements
In addition to the requirements for Police Officer:
- Experience: One (1) year of law enforcement experience as a Police Officer.
- License or Certificate: Possess and maintain a P.O.S.T. Intermediate Certificate.
Police Officer w/Advanced Certificate Requirements
In addition to the requirements for Police Officer w/Intermediate Certificate:
- License or Certificate: Possess and maintain a P.O.S.T. Advanced Certificate. Regular status as a Police Officer in the City of Fontana.