Lateral Police Officer/Pre-Service Police Officer
DEFINITION: The Lateral Police Officer will perform law enforcement and crime prevention in support of the Police Dept. For the Pre-Service position, promotion to Police Officer is contingent upon successful completion of the basic academy and review by the Chief of Police. During training, incumbents do not have police powers but are subject to the rules and regulations of the Barstow Police Department and the police academy attended. Incumbents may be assigned non-safety in the Police Department during training.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Candidates must have the ability to:
- Successfully complete the basic police academy which includes classroom and field
- Accurately observe and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents and
- Learn to use and properly care for
- Thinking and act quickly in emergencies, judge situations, and evaluate people
- Learn, understand, interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies and
- Prepare clear, accurate and grammatically correct written
- Meet the requirements for police officer contained in the California State Government
- Understand and carry out oral and written
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of
- Perform any other tasks or functions deemed necessary to the daily operations of the employer.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES: Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship with education achievement equal to the completion of an accredited US High School or a GED.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of, and continuously throughout employment, a valid CA Class “C” Driver License. Candidates must also satisfy the following:
AGE: At least 21 years of age upon completion of the basic police academy.
MEDICAL STANDARDS: Must meet the standards recommended by the Commission of Police Officer Standards and Training.
SKILL IN: Physical Agility.