Lateral Police Officer
Starting: $68,413 – $82,433 Depending on years of experience.
- Officer Top Pay at the end of the current contract will be $97,359
- Paid time off – vacation, holiday, personal time.
- Paid sick leave.
- Health insurance Blue Cross HMO or PPO.
- Uniform provided.
12 hour shifts
No residency requirement
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications for Lateral Transfer:
Applicants for lateral transfer Police Officer appointments must meet the following minimum
qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- Must have been employed currently, or in the past (2) years as a police officer.
- Must have served for at least two (2) year as a full-time, non-probationary, sworn law
enforcement officer by a Federal, State, County or local law enforcement agency in a
comparable position to that being applied for and be in good standing. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement).
- Must have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy and possess
current certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (Part-
time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement).
- Applicants must be at least 23 years old.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Education – Must have proof of High School Diploma, GED Certificate, or High School
- Must possess a valid Driver's License.
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position and have the ability to pass all
examination and training requirements.
- Must be physically able to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Must possess a minimum visual acuity of 20/40 in each eye uncorrected and corrected to
20/20. Must have normal color vision, depth perception, and be free of any night vision
- Lateral applicant must not have any felony convictions nor have been convicted of certain
- Must have a valid FOID card.
The applicant must have the ability to furnish upon request, a copy of the following:
- A resume.
- Professional licenses.
- Training certificates.
- ILETSB Police Officer Certificate.
- Documents confirming work experience.
- Birth certificate.
- Education transcripts.
- DD-214 (if applicable).
- Any other employment related material as requested or required.
You shall not be considered for the position unless you meet these requirements.
Each phase of the process listed below is a pass/fail and a "pass" is required to proceed to the next phase.
- Review of application material
- Pre-screening interview by police department command staff.
- Character, background investigation and credit check.
- Interview with the Police Commission.
- Post-offer examinations, including but not limited to:
- psychological assessment
- medical examination
- drug screening
- Once hired, the applicant will be required to successfully complete a field training program
and 18 month probationary period.
Lateral Eligible Police Officer Candidate Pool:
- Applications are retained for 1 year. After 1 year applicants may reapply.
- The Chief of Police shall select for recommendation to the Village Board for conditional hire
from the lateral transfer candidate pool, and shall be based upon the relative excellence of
the applicants, as determined by the Chief of Police.
- In the event that the selection process identifies applicants who have certain knowledge,
skills and abilities that make those applicants more desirable for the position sought to be
filled, the Chief of Police may choose to recommend to the Village Board that those
applicants are offered conditional hiring.
Notice to Lateral Police Officer Applicants:
Please contact the Willow Springs Police Department to request an application for
firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-839-2732
Upon review, qualified applicants who are considered for employment will be contacted by the
Criminal Investigations Unit and informed of the next steps in the hiring process.
Applicants are advised not to contact the Willow Springs Police Department concerning the status of their application, as you will be notified if employment is open or considered.
The Village of Willow Springs Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.