Lateral or Entry Level Police Officer
The position of Police Officer is subordinate to the Police Chief and all other ranking officers of the department. The Police Officer is responsible for the protection of life and property, the detection and prevention of crime, the apprehension of criminals, and the enforcement of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Work is performed in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, and state statutes.
Closing Date/Time: Wed. 01/27/21 5:00 PM Mountain Time
Salary: $20.35 – $34.23 Hourly
- Safely operates department vehicle during normal and emergency driving situations in accordance with department policy and state statute.
- Responds to; calls for service, assistance from other officers, and at the direction of supervisory personnel.
- Performs initial investigations of both criminal activity and/or traffic accidents.
- Recognizes and protects crime scenes for the preservation and gathering of evidence.
- Prepares thorough and complete reports of investigations and daily activity.
- Maintains a working knowledge of criminal and traffic law.
- Takes a pro-active approach to law enforcement through the recognition of violations of criminal and traffic law and takes appropriate action.
- Be prepared and capable of using required force to effect arrests up to and including deadly force.
- Ability to verbally articulate in court facts pertaining to investigations,arrests, and or traffic citations in which the officer participated as a primary or backup officer.
- Provides assistance to community members including assisting motorists, giving directions, and answering general questions.
- Maintains a professional appearance and adheres to department dress and grooming standards.
- Has a working knowledge of all department issued equipment and maintains the equipment in good working order.
- Works with other agencies in a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains required certifications and proficiency to include participation in mandatory department physical fitness standards.
Education and Experience:
- To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. In specific assignments they must also be able to perform additional component job functions related to the primary job classification. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In addition the following education, experience and special qualifications are required:
- Graduation from high school or GED
- U.S Citizen, 21 years of age or older
- Successfully pass the written, oral interview, physical fitness testing, background, polygraph, psychological, drug screen, and physical.