Latent Print / Crime Scene Technician
Under basic supervision, processes evidence, latent prints and other trace evidence for the Waco Police Department (WPD).
$18.38 per hour
- Processes and preserves crime scene and accident scene evidence to aid in criminal and civil prosecutions; takes legal custody of fingerprints and other trace evidence; makes physical and automated (AFIS) fingerprint comparisons; prepares evidence for court presentations; takes fingerprints from suspects and public and processes as needed; assists other WPD Officers and Technicians as requested.
- Processes, secures and maintains the inventory of WPD evidence and preserves the legal chain of custody in compliance with state laws, City policies and WPD quality standards; documents handling of evidence; maintains activity logs and generates reports.
- Accurately documents work product in offense reports and on diagrams.
- Testifies in court, maintains a chain of custody of evidence, and acquires and maintains a working knowledge of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.
- Works in an environment containing bio-hazardous materials.
- Must have ability to climb, carry, stoop, and crawl and safely operate a motor vehicle. Frequently exposed to extreme heat, cold, humidity, and precipitation; fumes and odors from processing chemicals; and bio-logical hazards such as blood and body fluids.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- Must live in McLennan County and be able to work an on-call schedule when designated.
- May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
- Driving is essential.
- Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice, Forensic Science, or a related field.
- Must be able to pass the Typing test - 40wpm
- Must complete Police Department Background Packet
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background screening.
- Must be able to pass a polygraph.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.