Jail Correctional Officer
Guards prisoners in the Brown County Jail, assuming responsibility for the safety and needs of staff and inmates during incarceration by performing the following duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Effectively restrain inmate, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints.
- Break up fights and affrays using minimal force.
- Pursue fleeing inmates.
- Perform rescue operations; quickly entering and exiting secured areas; lifting, carrying, and dragging heavy objects; climbing through openings, jumping over obstacles, crawling in confined areas, and using body force to gain entrance.
- Prepare investigative and other reports; including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols, and mathematical computations.
- Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the basis of criminal offenses or administrative violations.
- Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with hostile views and opinions of inmates and other people in an antagonistic environment.
- Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies, and disasters; may include standing for long periods of time, administering basic emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging, and carrying people away from dangerous situations; securing and evacuating people from confined areas.