Institutional Police Officer
$43.0885 – $52.1544 hourly
$89,624 – $108,481 annually
Under the direction of the Chief of Police or his/her designee, the Institutional Police Officer works in the San Francisco Community College District Police Department and acts as a peace officer pursuant to Section 830.32(a) of the California Penal Code and Section 72330 of the California Education Code. The San Francisco Community College District Police Department is a Peace Officers’ Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) participant. The officer’s primary functions are to provide protection of life and property and to enforce state and local laws and college policies within the jurisdiction of San Francisco Community College District campuses. In accordance with District policy, the San Francisco Community College District Police Department is a sworn unarmed department. Employees are required to sign a memorandum acknowledging their understanding of the District’s policy in this regard.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
1. Maintain law and order within and surrounding City College campuses and other district sites.
2. Provide a safe and secure environment for the students, faculty, staff and visitors.
3. In a professional and courteous manner; respond to all emergencies on District property.
4. Uphold the laws and statues of the State of California, municipal and criminal, enforce state and local ordinances, rules and regulations related to the San Francisco Community College District.
5. Provide assistance and /or first aid.
6. Perform traffic control and investigate traffic collisions.
7. Issue verbal warning or issue citations for violations observed and issue parking citations.
8. Patrol assigned areas in a marked patrol vehicle and/or on foot.
9. Provide money escorts upon request on District property.
10. Conduct investigations of various crimes committed; interview suspects. victims and witnesses in the field; make arrests as necessary; prepare reports on arrests, burglaries, disturbances and unusual circumstances observed.
11. Make felony/misdemeanor/warrant arrests as necessary which includes transporting and booking suspects as well as properly preparing a San Francisco Police Department Incident Report.
12. Assist students, faculty, staff, and visitors by providing directions and responding to questions and inquiries; provide service escorts for any person requiring assistance.
13. Respond to faculty, staff and student complaints in potentially hostile situations; intervene and mediate in disturbances and disputes.
14. Testify and present evidence in court as necessary.
15. Assist in the event of natural disasters and other extraordinary circumstances.
16. May perform other duties as assigned by Chief of Police or his/her designee.
High School diploma or equivalent (GED or High School Proficiency Examination). AND
One (1) year of experience as a police officer, member of a military police unit or other work involving the safeguarding of life and property; AND
License and Certification:
1. Requires possession of a valid California Driver License; AND
2. Possession of a Basic P.O.S.T. Certificate (issued by California Department of Justice, Commission of Peace Officers Standards and Training) will be required prior to field work assignment and within twelve (12) months of hire date, as a condition of employment.