This position is responsible for recovering and storing evidence from crime scenes.
• Conducts crime scene searches, examines scenes to detect clues and gather physical evidence.
• Identifies, collects, marks, analyzes and preserves physical evidence; photographs crime scenes, lifts and classifies fingerprints, makes composites and transfers evidence to the state crime lab.
• Compares and classifies fingerprints.
• Develops leads for suspects in cases after analyzing physical evidence collected at crime scenes.
• Remains on call after hours every third week.
• Attends court sessions and testifies as required.
• Attend autopsies as needed.
• Write thorough and accurate case reports.
• Log and process property/evidence.
• Release property to owner or agency.
• Fingerprint and take images of sex offenders.
• Fingerprint and take images of applicants for alcohol and other licensing, as well as job applicants.
• Release and/or destroy property/evidence.
• Assist other agencies when requested.
• Collect and prepare evidence, reports, or recordings for court purposes.
• Attend continuing education classes.
• Assist on-call tech when needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or GED.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
• Completion of a computer skills test PRIOR to submitting application. Applicants must submit results of Skills Testing with Application for Employment. Skills test can be taken at the Texas Workforce Commission located at Howard College, 1001 Birdwell Lane, Suite 106, Big Spring, Texas 79720 (next door to Howard Cottage day care).
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the State of Texas.
• A polygraph exam will be conducted on all applicants under final consideration for this position.