Evidence Specialist I and II
The Coral Springs Police Department has an opening in our Crime Scene Unit. Salary and position are based on experience as detailed below:
EVIDENCE SPECIALIST I: $42,120 – $63,720
0-4 years’ PEAF Certified experience.
EVIDENCE SPECIALIST II: $48,600 – $75,600
5 + years’ PEAF Certified experience.
Examples of Duties
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform work responsible for the custody and safekeeping of property and evidence obtained by the Police Department and subsequent release of said property to authorized persons or other disposition in accordance with state statutes. Work is performed in accordance with standard departmental procedures and under the general supervision of a Supervisor and involves some exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
5/14/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
• Receives, records and stores articles seized as evidence, or recovered, lost, or stolen property coming into the possession of the Police Department.
• Verifies record of property received including description of property, name of owner (if known), name of officer from whom received, and reason for retention.
• Issues property being retained as evidence to officer at time of trial upon receipt of authorization.
• Answers subpoenas as required by law and testifies in court as to evidence held.
• Prepares lists of articles to be destroyed; releases articles for official destruction; inventories and releases property to be donated.
• Releases or mails lost or stolen articles to owners upon proof of ownership.
• Enters and accesses information in automated data system through use of keyboard, bar code scanner or other device.
• Orders materials and supplies for department.
• Reviews and researches disposition, firearm and narcotics cases.
High School Diploma or GED. Demonstrated aptitude for customer service-oriented work, an ability to learn and perform various receipt, storage, and issuance of property, or in maintaining property; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.