E911 Communications Director
Salary: $150,000, Negotiable
The purpose of this classification is to plan, organize, direct, and supervise the E-911 Communications Center for the County.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff; oversees employee work schedules to ensure adequate coverage and control; reviews timesheets; approves/processes employee concerns and problems and counsels or disciplines as appropriate; completes employee performance appraisals; directs work; acts as a liaison between employees and management; and trains staff in operations, policies, and procedures; conduct interviews and make hiring and termination decisions.
- Plans, organizes, and manages the day-to-day operational functions of the E-911 Department to provide effective and timely emergency services County-wide; plans, develops and directs department programs, services, resources and staff; formulates short and long range plans, goals and objectives; develops and implements policies, procedures and standards; and directs the implementation of programs and services through subordinate supervisors and staff.
- Monitors and evaluates department programs, services and operations; assesses department effectiveness and performance; manages quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives; analyzes operational statistics and staffing needs; and identifies and implements changes to maximize use of resources, and achieve goals and objectives.
- Prepares and/or reviews operational and statistical reports; presents proposals and recommendations regarding department services and needs; serves as a member of varying task forces, committees, and management and planning teams; and represents the department to other County, State and Federal agencies and officials.
- Consults with Chief of Police, public safety agencies, or other officials to review operations/activities; reviews/resolves problems, receives advice/direction, and provides recommendations; and informs appropriate agencies and management personnel of 911 situations, major incidents, and other problems.
- Manages department financial resources; develops and implements departmental budget, including establishing priorities for capital and material requirements; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget; and reviews and approves payroll, bills, invoices, purchase orders, contracts and other financial documents.
- Manages the use of department equipment, communication systems and facilities; ensures proper maintenance and repair of communications equipment, radios, and systems; assigns and oversees research of vendor pricing; coordinates with contractors, vendors and suppliers regarding the procurement of new equipment, services and supplies; works with vendors regarding wireless services and planning for future department technology needs.
- Responds to questions or complaints related to communications activities and personnel; provides information and education; researches problems; and initiates problem resolution.
- Bachelors degree in Emergency Management, Public Administration, Criminal Justice, Public Safety, or a related field required; Masters degree preferred.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in emergency communications, with three years of senior management experience for a comparably sized organization or as a director for a smaller organization; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Must possess and maintain the following: GCIC and NCIC Certifications, Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) Certification, Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certification, and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification.