Salary range: $27.92 – $33.93 per hour.
Police/Law Enforcement dispatchers receive all calls for police services for the cities of Ripon, Escalon, and Lathrop in the summer of 2022. Requests for service may include calls from individuals who may be injured, confused, abusive or experiencing crisis. Dispatchers must be able to obtain accurate information under difficult conditions by quickly evaluating emergency situations to determine the nature and urgency of the calls and disseminate information to responding units. Dispatchers must have the ability to handle extremely stressful situations calmly and the ability to work well with others. Although our dispatch center does not dispatch fire and medical calls, you will be required to answer calls which may be medical in nature or fire related. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to perform complex tasks simultaneously are essential to being a successful dispatcher. The Ripon Police Department dispatch center operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Receives, interprets, classifies, prioritizes and dispatches calls of a routine and emergency nature, including calls involving life threatening situations, expeditiously and accurately.
- Assigns calls to appropriate units.
- Visually monitors status display terminals while simultaneously monitoring radio, phone and lobby traffic.
- Ensures correct status of pending and dispatched calls, locations of units and makes “on-line” changes as appropriate.
- Checks and confirms warrants.
- Provides information to units regarding vehicles, driver’s licenses, probation and warrants.
- Enters relevant information and retrieves information on multiple computerized systems, including a computer-aided dispatch system; operates multiple computer systems utilizing various programs simultaneously.
- Responsible for adhering to department policies and procedures; performs related duties as required.
- Possession of high school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working with the public.
- Typing skills at a minimum of 45 WPM NET is required.
- Individuals must pass a background investigation, psychological/physical exam, pre-employment drug and alcohol test, and a hearing evaluation prior to hire.
- Must obtain a passing score on the Criticall Exam or possess a valid POST Public Safety Dispatcher Certificate.
- Must live within a 35 mile radius of the City of Ripon upon completion of the probationary period.
- Must work rotating shifts including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime on a regular basis.
- Must obtain a POST Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate within the first year of employment.