Director of Safety & Security
Located six miles from Washington, D.C., St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes School, an age 3 to Grade 12 Episcopal school, educates the whole child by tending to the academic, social, physical, and spiritual needs of each of our students. St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes is a positive and collegial community with a commitment to our mission to pursue goodness as well as knowledge and to honor the unique value of each of our members as a child of God in a caring community. SSSAS combines a rigorous academic program with outstanding opportunities in the arts, athletics, global studies, and service learning for our students. SSSAS has a deep commitment to creating an inclusive community which values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we seek candidates who have this same commitment. The diverse student body is 28% students of color, and 22% of our students receive financial aid to create a socioeconomically diverse community.
The Director of Safety and Security is responsible for the safety and security of all students, employees and visitors. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this person leads the school’s security team and works with the administration, the faculty/staff, students and local law enforcement agencies to implement policies and procedures to ensure a safe community. This position includes overseeing a comprehensive safety program during and after school hours on all three campuses.
The primary responsibility of the position is to maintain a safe and secure environment for students, employees and visitors. Specific responsibilities are listed below:
Policies, Procedures and Training
- Develop, implement and manage programs and systems designed to effectively address security needs and protocols that are appropriate for a school setting.
- Create and update written policies and procedures, ensuring these policies and procedures are reflected in employee manuals and safety and security manuals; develop and enforce internal controls to ensure the consistent and effective communication and implementation of these policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and ensure school safety compliance with federal, state, and local regulations by staying apprised of existing and new requirements, and working with the administration to enforce school-wide adherence to requirements.
- Collaborate with other local schools on best practices and matters related to school safety.
- Schedule, conduct and maintain records of all emergency drills on each campus.
- Conduct and coordinate safety, security and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling and/or facilitating training for faculty, staff, students and public safety officials.
- Work with and train the administrative assistants on school safety and security issues.
Security Systems and Equipment
- Work closely with the Information Technology and Building and Grounds departments to oversee and maintain all safety and security related technology, including but not limited to: cameras, building access control, campus access control (SchoolPass), two-way radios, intercoms, and emergency broadcast system
- Provide support with the visitor management system and periodically direct and/or escort visitors to campus locations.
- Oversee the procurement and maintenance of all emergency supplies and safety and security equipment.
- Coordinate and conduct ongoing inspections to ensure that all safety and security systems are working effectively.
Leadership, Management and Coordination
- Directly supervise a team of five security officers across the three campuses, ensuring adequate security coverage and leveraging their knowledge of school safety and security procedures and best practices.
- Perform security personnel evaluations and review job performance according to school protocols.
- Develop and manage the departmental operating budget and expenditures.
- Develop strong, ongoing relationships with local law enforcement and serve as a liaison with local law enforcement agencies during critical incident situations and follow-up. Serve as a liaison with the Alexandria City Police and other emergency responders when needed in an emergency and when coordinating coverage at school functions.
- Advise and assist administrators in matters involving incidents, hazards and accidents on school campuses.
- Assist in the development and implementation of security plans for special events and schedule security coverage for all special events in collaboration with administration.
- Work with campus administrators and the Buildings and Grounds department to identify and address any safety/security issues on campus.
- Prepare memos, reports and presentations related to safety on school campuses, presenting them to administrators, faculty, staff and board committees.
- Serve as chairperson of the school’s Safety Committee.
- Serve as the chairperson of the school’s Threat Assessment Team.
- Participate in training and professional development to stay current on legal and compliance matters as well as best practice regarding school safety policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform the job requirements listed above. In addition, the following requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required of a successful candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least six years of supervisory experience performing similar or related duties.
- Strong knowledge of law enforcement methods, techniques and procedures and the ability to build relationships within the community.
- Knowledge of trends and best practices for safety and security in a school setting.
- Proven leadership and project management abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to proficiently present to students, employees, board members and parents.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously and frequently changing priorities.
- Physical Requirements: Duties of this position require physical effort and manual dexterity, including the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, work outdoors in inclement weather conditions, and walk long distances.
Interested applicants should apply through the SSSAS website at https://www.sssas.org/about-us/employment
For more information about St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes School, we invite you to visit our website at www.sssas.org