Detention Officer – Police
Salary: $18.50 hourly.
Open Until: Filled
The City of Grandview is accepting applications for the part time position of Detention Officer. The purpose of positions in this classification is to perform specialized inmate detention and care work in the Grandview Police Detention Center under the supervision of Police Sergeant. An employee in this class performs inmate intake, detention, care, and release work in accordance with established policies and procedures. Work includes the observation and accompaniment of inmates inside the cell and City Detention Center and related care and record keeping requirements. Tactfulness and firmness are required in frequent contacts with violent, suicidal, and mentally disturbed inmates.
- Receives inmates by conducting search, completing required intake forms, securing all personal property, and dressing out inmates in detention attire.
- Acts as booking officer by maintaining inmate information, verifying the completion of necessary intake forms, classifying inmates and assigning cell location, and maintaining inmate count and cell locations.
- Oversees the security and activities of inmates; supervises meals and cleaning of facilities; distributes personal property; transports inmates for interviews, court or release; monitors inmate’s medical status and takes appropriate action when illness or injury is suspected; supervisors the purchase and distribution of snack items.
- Searches incoming property delivered for inmates to determine if it is allowable.
- Releases inmates on bond, due to court order, or for time served; ensures release papers are accurate and complete; returns all personal property to the individuals.
- Supervises inmates cleaning and maintenance of detention facilities.
- Over sees visitors for inmates during appropriate scheduled times.
- Prepares prisoners for court appearance in municipal court and transports prisoners to and from court. Assists during court when available and as needed with the security of the prisoners.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Possession of a valid state driver’s license required.
- Prior Detention officer experience preferred.