Deputy Sheriff – Transport Unit
$33.87 – $46.22 Hourly
The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is looking to fill four open temp positions in the Jail Division’s-Transport Unit. All candidates must be licensed or eligible to be licensed by the Minnesota POST Board at the time of hire. This position is a great way for current or recently retired licensed peace officers to earn extra money, or for new SKILLS graduates to gain experience. Want to learn more about becoming a Peace Officer in the State of Minnesota? Visit the Minnesota Post Board website: Becoming an Officer – How to Become An Officer
RESPONSIBILITIES: Deputy Sheriffs assigned to the Transport Unit will be responsible for the pick-up and delivery of inmates to or from the Washington County Jail, Minnesota Department of Corrections, various medical or dental facilities, multiple city jails, county jails, and state and federal prisons as directed by the Transport Sergeant. Transport Deputies will ensure that all policies and procedures are followed while transporting inmates to and from the Washington County Jail thereby ensuring the safety of the public and inmates which is paramount to this position. Additionally, Transport Deputies will be responsible for the physical screening of inmates ensuring no weapons or contraband are in the inmates’ possession at any time. They must be able to perform emergency first aid for inmates when applicable. All Transport Deputies will be subject to the usual physical exertions and hazards of law enforcement work and will be responsible for completing all annual training required by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and by the State of Minnesota POST Board in a timely manner, including online training. Regular and punctual attendance is required.
1) Must be 21 years of age or older at time of job closing
2) Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate
3) Must have a valid driver’s license.
4) Candidates must be MN P.O.S.T licensed, eligible for P.O.S.T licensing or have the expectation of MN P.O.S.T. eligibility by the time of hire.
5) All candidates for hire must pass a background investigation, psychological examination, and physical examination/drug screen.
6) Must be eligible to possess and lawfully use a firearm, and successfully qualify with a handgun and other department weapons according to existing department qualification standards
•Paid experience as a licensed peace officer for any Sheriff’s Office, Police Department or as a Military Police Officer, or
•An Associate’s degree in any Minnesota P.O.S.T Board Certified Professional Peace Officer program.
•Candidates who recently graduated Skills and are POST certified are welcome to apply.