Deputy Sheriff Trainee – Academy
A Deputy Sheriff Trainee will be required to attend and satisfactorily complete the 28-week P.O.S.T. Certified Orange County Sheriff’s Training Academy. Upon successful completion of the academy, the Deputy Sheriff Trainee will be promoted to the position of Deputy Sheriff I.
The Mentoring Program is a voluntary, but highly recommended academy preparation program. This program is open to candidates who are currently in the background process with the Orange County Sheriff's Department and receive a referral from their background investigator. Any County of Orange employee who voluntarily participates shall do so off duty; no County employee may participate during their scheduled working hours. The Mentoring Program is designed to introduce candidates to academy protocol, memory work and physical training. Mentoring staff may evaluate and record participant performance and this information may be used for individual assessments and selection by the Professional Standards Division; meaning, an individual's performance / behavior at mentoring sessions may be evaluated prior to being selected for hire as a Deputy Sheriff Trainee.
• Age: Must be at least 20 years of age on date of appointment.
• Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who has filed for citizenship prior to the date of application.
• Education: U.S. High School Diploma –OR- U.S. General Education Development Credential (GED) –OR- A California High School Proficiency Certificate –OR- Have attained a two-year or four-year degree from a U.S. accredited college or university.
• Background: Must have no felony convictions as a juvenile or adult and cannot currently be on any form of probation AND must pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Sheriff-Coroner.
• Must have no domestic violence convictions and cannot currently be the subject of a domestic violence restraining order.
• Driver's License: Must possess a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher by date of appointment.