Deputy Sheriff Trainee – Academy
The Orange County Sheriff’s Department is currently accepting applications and required supplemental information on a continuous basis until the needs of the department are met. please keep in mind that this recruitment may close on any day at 11:59 p.m.
A Deputy Sheriff Trainee will be required to attend and satisfactorily complete the 28-week P.O.S.T. Certified Orange County Sheriff’s Training Academy. Upon successful completion of the academy, the Deputy Sheriff Trainee will be promoted to the position of Deputy Sheriff I.
The Sheriff's Department is the fifth largest sheriff's department in the nation, offering a rewarding career with the opportunity to serve Orange County in diverse assignments including land, air, and sea-based patrol, specialty investigative units, community engagement assignments, and unique collateral duty options. The Sheriff's Department prides itself on embracing a policing model that employs intelligence-led policing strategies and a community-focused approach to providing law enforcement services. We believe engaged communities make for safe communities. Accordingly, the Department also offers extensive training and outreach opportunities for personnel to build and strengthen relationships in the communities they serve through community-based policing, familiarization between law enforcement and community residents, and collaborative problem solving. This is more than a job; it is an opportunity to build a career of which you can be proud.
• Age: Must be at least 20 years of age on date of appointment.
• Citizenship: Must be a U.S.. citizen or permanent resident alien who has filed for citizenship prior to the date of application.
• Education: U.S.. High School Diploma –OR- U.S.. General Education Development Credential (GED) –OR- A California High School Proficiency Certificate –OR- Have attained a two-year or four-year degree from a U.S.. accredited college or university.
• Background: Must have no felony convictions as a juvenile or adult and cannot currently be on any form of probation AND must pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Sheriff-Coroner.
• Must have no domestic violence convictions and cannot currently be the subject of a domestic violence restraining order.
• Driver's License: Must possess a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher by date of appointment.