Deputy Sheriff (Recruits)
$50,918.00 – $89,294.00 Annually
6/30/2024 11:59 PM Eastern
Deputy Sheriff’s are law enforcement officers, recognized in the State of Maryland, and have state wide powers when dealing with certain issues. Howard County Deputies provide many duties in this County.
Performs technical level sheriff operations work under general supervision from a technical superior. Work includes serving civil and criminal papers; maintaining court room security; and maintaining security of and transporting prisoners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Processes and serves civil and criminal summons, from in and out of state.
- Transports prisoners as per court orders.
- Preserves order during court sessions and maintains court security.
- Enforces all Federal, State, and County laws.
- Levies and seizes property on judgment, and collects money and fees.
- Makes arrests on warrants and civil body attachments.
- Investigates domestic animal kills in the County.
- Works with various Local, State, and Federal officers in cooperative law enforcement efforts.
- Provides court ordered protection.
- Participate on extradition out of state with respect to prisoner transportation.
- Maintain valid driver’s license.
- Issue Maryland State Citations as required.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of law enforcement practices, court procedures, and process serving regulations.
- Knowledge of Civil process procedures.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal laws.
- Ability to use issued/approved firearms.
- Ability to prepare records and reports.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and/or written directions.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.