Deputy Sheriff – Patrol
Starting salary (untrained) $45,203 annually- An increase in starting salary will be considered for those who possess DCJS Law Enforcement certification at time of employment.
The Deputy Sheriff- Patrol possess a thorough knowledge pertinent federal, state and local laws and ordinances; law enforcement support service and investigative work; law enforcement practices and procedures; the roads and routes within the County; the rules, regulations and policies of Botetourt County and the Sheriff’s Office.
- Patrols assigned area for the prevention of crime and enforcement of laws and ordinances;
- Responds to request for law enforcement services and takes appropriate action;
- Arrests violators of laws and ordinances, and insures violators are booked on charges;
- Enforces traffic laws, directs traffic and provides information concerning the location of streets, routes and buildings;
- Investigates and prepares detailed reports of collisions;
- Investigates suspicious conditions, activities, or persons;
- Investigates and checks for wanted or missing persons and stolen property;
- Participates in the operation of various units and the service of civil and criminal subpoenas and other court orders;
- Participates in riot and crowd control;
- Controls and restrains potentially violent persons;
- Prepares a variety of reports;
- Conducts preliminary investigations of criminal cases and gathers, preserves and analyzes facts and evidence;
- Follows up preliminary investigative reports;
- Interviews complainants, accused, witnesses and the preliminary investigating officer and records statements and testimony;
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- High School graduate or equivalent (prefer criminal justice training through accredited academy in Virginia or Criminal Justice degree, but not mandatory)
- No criminal record.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.
- Must pass psychological screening test
- Must pass physical examination
- Good credit history.
- Citizen of the United States or have valid proof that citizenship is being sought