This is the first level of the Deputy Sheriff series. A Deputy Sheriff’s primary duties are to oversee individuals who have been arrested and awaiting trial. The Gwinnett County Jail is a direct supervision pretrial facility. Deputy Sheriff’s may serve in any of the five divisions after promotion to Senior Deputy Sheriff or higher. The divisions are administration, court services/civil, jail, field operations, and investigative services.
Signing Bonus of $4,300
- Learning department policies and procedures and how to perform general law enforcement duties to include: responding to calls, assisting with the apprehension of suspects or inmates, conducting searches for contraband, ensuring the proper handling of evidence, testifying in court, and serving civil processes and court orders
- Processing paperwork for the admittance or release of inmates or detainees, searching individuals and inventories, confiscates, or distributes property, and maintaining an accurate headcount of the facility
- Assisting in resolving disputes between inmates, completing applicable forms and documents, and enforcing violations with write-ups
- Providing orientation to new inmates or detainees
- Escorting inmates or detainees in or outside of the facility for special programs, medical appointments, and court appearances
- Providing initial information inmates, which includes visitation sign-ups, medical information, court dates, and bail and bond information
Other Job Requirements/Information
- This job is a safety sensitive position that will require a pre-employment drug test and subsequent random drug and alcohol testing.
- This job requires a public safety background check to include motor vehicle histories, criminal histories, and finger printing.
- This job requires fingerprinting.
- This job entails fiduciary responsibility and requires a credit check.
- This job may require on-call rotation and emergency after hours, weekends, and/or holidays.
The grade for this position is SH213.
** $3,200 hiring incentive for new hires **
- $44,603.00 with possible incentives up to
- $45,941.09 (includes 3% pay incentive for an Associate degree)
- $47,279.18 (includes 6% pay incentive for a Bachelor’s degree)
Gwinnett County Deputy Sheriffs are eligible for promotion to:
- Deputy Sheriff, Senior $50,828.00 (after successful completion of job requirements, i.e. POST, physical fitness)
- Deputy Sheriff, Master $53,877.00 (after successful completion of job requirements, i.e. FTO training)
Effective 4/11/2023, this position is eligible for the Employee Referral Program.
- High school diploma, or GED
- Valid Georgia driver’s license
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of application
- Must be a US Citizen for certification
- Must be able to work any shift, weekends, and holidays
- Must obtain a state certificate from jailer’s school within six months from date of hire
- Must have ability to use computer for data entry in jail management software and report writing
- Law enforcement, military, or security experience highly preferred