Deputy Sheriff I (POST Academy Graduate)
THIS IS A NEW CONTINUOUS EXAMINATION. The eligible list resulting from this examination will cancel any existing list and may last approximately one year, but can be extended. This examination may be reopened as necessary and the names of additional candidates merged onto the existing list according to examination score.
$87,672.00 – $96,470.40/year
• Providing security to the Consolidated Superior Courts
• Operating the Coroner's Bureau
• Operating a full service criminalistics laboratory
• Performing Civil Process
• Operating a County Jail (Santa Rita)
• Operating the County Office of Emergency Services
• Providing patrol and investigative services to the unincorporated areas of Alameda County
• Pursuant to contractual agreements, providing patrol and investigative services to the City of Dublin, Oakland International Airport, Highland County Hospital, Social Services, and to the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District
• Conducting a basic academy pursuant to Police Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) requirements.
• Providing Fish and Game enforcement
• Project Director of the Narcotics Task Force
• Serving as the Executive Director of the Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement (SAFE) Task Force
• Operating a Marine Patrol Unit in the San Francisco Bay waters.
• Read, understand, interpret and apply department policies, rules, laws, and ordinances pertaining to law enforcement work
• Write clear, concise comprehensive reports
• Accurately observe and remember names, faces, numbers, and events
• Establish and maintain effective working relations with others
• Exert physical force in the apprehension of suspects and in the saving of lives and property
• Use good judgment in emergency or critical situations
• Identify and address issues, problems, and opportunities
• Interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions
• Work effectively even when under stress or experiencing conflict
• Communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in writing
• Perform routine clerical and record keeping duties
• Quickly learn and apply the rules, procedures, laws and regulations relevant to the work
Current enrollment in the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Recruit Training Academy, with successful completion of the academy by the time of appointment.
Successful completion of a certified P.O.S.T. approved basic academy within three years of application date or possession of a valid recertification certificate.
Valid California State Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
If not a citizen of the United States, must have filed for citizenship at least one year before applying for Deputy Sheriff.
Hearing must be normal in each ear.
Using both eyes, must have far vision of at least 20/100 without glasses, correctable to 20/20 with glasses. Must be free from color blindness and permanent abnormality in either eye.
These standards are confined to far vision and color vision. There are additional standards which may apply to other possible specific visual deficiencies.
Applicants must be in excellent physical condition with above average strength, endurance and agility, and must meet Commission approved safety member physical standards.