Deputy Sheriff I – Court Services – 08411
Full salary range for this position is $53,531.30 – $92,543.15
Examples of Duties
- Ensuring courtroom security; serving civil process legal papers; supervising and transporting prisoners; preparing and maintaining files and records; assisting with other legal services.
- Serves summons, notices, court orders, notices, attachments, claims and deliveries, ejections, executions, capias and other legal papers;
- Transports prisoners and mental cases;
- Makes arrests, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints;
- Subdues resisting suspects using weapons and maneuvers and other approved self-defense methods;
- Inventories personal property, holds Sheriff’s sales;
- Testifies in court;
- Ensures the security and order of courtrooms prior to and during court sessions;
- Transports and supervises the movements of prisoners to and from court;
- Removes unruly individuals from the courtroom;
- Responds and carries out all orders of the judge;
High school diploma or equivalent; possession of valid Virginia driver’s license; knowledge of police methods, practices, and procedures; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear, comprehensive reports; ability to deal courteously, firmly, and tactfully with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; possession of physical agility and endurance; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of a motor vehicle; possession of all qualifications as required by the Code of Virginia, the Department of Criminal Justice Services, and the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office. Must also be 21 years of age and a U.S. citizen. Preference will be given to applicants with (in order): DCJS Law Enforcement Basic Certification, related work experience, good knowledge of Stafford County’s geography, and advanced training or college course work in law enforcement.