Deputy Sheriff – Entry Level
Salary: $38.27 – $47.03 Hourly.
Open Until Filled
- Contribute to the team effort of maintaining a presence in the community that helps to deter crime and provide support to all community members; through patrolling county roads, highways, business and residential areas; enforcing traffic and criminal laws; providing business and residential security checks; investigating road and safety hazards; monitoring waterways within Multnomah County and enforcing other safety laws and regulations.
- Engage in community policing and proactive policing strategies, using traditional and non-traditional approaches to law enforcement; collaborate with the community to identify and implement innovative approaches to reduce chronic crime.
- Work collaboratively to create a positive, supportive and safe work environment for all members through inclusive communication and team work; actively promotes a workplace environment that is respectful of living and working in a multicultural society by modeling the agency’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Monitor and direct traffic to maintain safe traffic conditions; investigate traffic collisions; take statements, report unsafe streets, and offer general assistance.
- Assess situations, use informed judgment to determine whether laws have been violated, analyze impact of decision on situation and persons involved, and impartially decides upon appropriate actions such as; written or verbal warning, citation or arrest and transport to jail.
- Conduct investigations of reported criminal activity; gather crime scene evidence; interview and take statements from those involved.
- Conduct investigations of reported civil disturbances; respond to incidents such as family disputes, public disturbances, animal control, and lost children.
- Prepare reports for agency, court and state use of investigated disturbances, crimes, accidents, and traffic enforcement for agency, court and state use.
- Provide court testimony regarding criminal investigations and citations. Serves subpoenas and warrants of arrest.
- Must have or receive within 90 days from time of application a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must be able to obtain a valid driver’s license by time of appointment.
- Background Investigation: Candidates must pass a thorough background investigation which includes but is not limited to a review of applicant’s criminal, civil, driving, military, educational and employment history.