Deputy Sheriff-Coroner I
$62,628.80 – $76,148.80 Annually
Hiring Bonus – Police Academy graduates that self-financed their tuition will receive a one-time hiring bonus of $7,000 upon successful completion of the probationary period.
Job Requirements and Minimum Qualifications
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Patrols an assigned area; enforces laws and regulations; maintains laws and order within the jurisdiction.
- Responds to radio messages, telephone instructions and/or citizens’ requests to appear at scenes of disorder or crime.
- Conducts preliminary or follow-up investigations of various crimes or other incidents.
- Maintains proper courtroom demeanor; enforces rules and regulations pertaining to the use of photography or recording equipment; assists in the control and movement of evidence and exhibits; takes charge of the jury during recesses and deliberations.
- Receives, responds to and documents emergency situations.
- Serves warrants, subpoenas, judicial processes and summonses as required.
- Enforces warrants of arrest and takes individuals into custody as directed by the Judge.
- Searches, guards and transports prisoners.
- Collects and preserves evidence associated with crimes.
- Identifies and notifies next of kin and/or the appropriate County representative of deaths.
- Collects and records information pertaining to the manner and cause of deaths reportable to the Coroner.
- Testifies in court in connection with criminal prosecutions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED.
Licenses and Certifications:
Possession of a valid and current regular basic course completion (Academy) certificate issued by a training institution certified by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST); or successful completion of a POST certified requalifications course within the last 18 months; or, current enrollment in a POST certified basic course or POST certified requalifications course AND certification of successful completion at the time of appointment; and ability to obtain a POST Basic Certificate within one year of employment.
Valid Driver’s License – Class “C” or better.