Provides law enforcement services for the County.
This position is responsible for law enforcement work involving the detecting and deterring of crime, apprehending violators of criminal and motor vehicles laws, serving civil papers, maintaining court room security, and performing other law enforcement duties. An officer of higher rank reviews work assignments and gives specific instructions and assistance when special problems arise. A Deputy Sheriff is required to exercise independent judgment and discretion in difficult or unusual situations.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves civil processes received from the County courts.
- Preserves order during court sessions and guards persons brought before court.
- Transports prisoners to and from court.
- Protects disaster areas.
- Enforces laws, prevents, and detects criminal acts. Investigates criminal activities.
- Checks business areas in the County to make sure doors are secure, and prevents acts of vandalism and illegal entry.
- Transports emergency psychiatric commitments.
- Secures funeral and traffic details.
- Patrols County, and answers calls and complaints.
- Patrols highways for traffic violators and renders assistance at the scene of an accident to disabled motorists.
Training and/or Education
High School diploma or GED equivalent.
Licenses or Certificates
Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be eligible to obtain a Maryland License, if necessary.
Physical ability test, written test, background investigation, polygraph examination, psychological examination and physical examination will be required. Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment. Must complete the entrance level police-training program during the first year of employment.