Custer County, SD, has an opening for a full-time Deputy Sheriff. Starting wage is $24.69 an hour plus benefits. Current South Dakota Law Enforcement Certified could start up to $26.27 an hour depending on experience and qualifications. There is a $1.00 an hour shift differential pay for hours worked between 1800-0600.
Custer County is bordered by the State of Wyoming, Pennington, Oglala Lakota, and Fall River Counties. Within our County, we have Custer State Park, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, Crazy Horse Memorial, and National Forest. Our Sheriff’s Office also provides contract law enforcement for the City of Custer, Town of Hermosa, and the USFS. Deputies will enforce local, state, and federal laws, prevent and suppress crime and accidents, serve legal processes of courts, and promote public safety through community policing principles, and other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Candidates must have a high school diploma or GED certificate;
- Pass a comprehensive background investigation,
- No prior felony or simple assault domestic violence conviction;
- Valid driver’s license upon application, an insurable driving history,
- Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Training Commission Certificate or ability to obtain within one year from hiring date.
- Applicant must have the availability to work all shifts including weekends and holidays.
The position is open until filled.