Salary: $48,171.00 Annually.
Closing Date: 1/24/2024.
A Deputy Sheriff is a sworn and certified law enforcement officer who provides courthouse and courtroom security, transportation of prisoners, and service of court orders and writs.
This position reports directly to a Deputy Sheriff Sergeant, a Sheriff’s Lieutenant, Chief Deputy Sheriff, and/or the Sheriff.
This position is not responsible for the supervision of other employees.
- Serves court orders and writs. Tracks down individuals named in such papers, visiting home and business addresses, and talking to family members. Locates individuals and serves legal papers.
- Apprehends and arrests individuals who are wanted for Commonwealth Court issued orders/warrants, probation violations, and other orders. Serves protection from abuse papers. Enforces court orders. Serves incompetency papers securing witness signatures. Locates personal property, including vehicles, for sale or levy. Executes court orders, injunctions, and possessions.
- Provides security for Northampton County government buildings by screening all individuals entering the building for weapons, drugs, explosives, or other prohibited items.
- Responds to emergencies in the Courthouse, courtrooms, or other government buildings as required.
- Transports individuals from prison to court for trials, hearings, and sentencing. Escorts sentenced defendants from courtroom to collection, and other offices, as required for each case. Transports prisoners to and from various penal institutions within the state, and for extradition to and from other jurisdictions. Drives and/or rides escort in County vehicles to effect such transport. Searches individuals being transported for weapons, drugs, or other contraband.
- Directs security in courtrooms. Calls for prisoners. Depending on nature and circumstances of cases being heard, searches individuals entering courtroom. Observes court proceedings, particularly individuals’ activities and demeanor, to anticipate and control problem situations. Guards jurors and judges during course of trial. In the event of an emergency, summons appropriate agency, and within limits of training, renders emergency treatment.
- Completion of a high school, or general equivalency diploma.
- Must be 21 years of age by date of hire.
- Employees assigned to this title will be required to possess and maintain a valid and current motor vehicle operator’s license and have a clean driving record.
- Employees assigned to this title will be required to achieve and maintain certification under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania act of February 9, 1984 (known as Act 2) and amended by the act of July 9, 2014 (known as Act-114) known as the Sheriff and Deputy Sheriff Education and Training Act.
- All Deputy Sheriff candidates are required to successfully pass a polygraph test.
- All Deputy Sheriff candidates are required to successfully pass a background investigation, including a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance and credit history.
- All Deputy Sheriff candidates are required to successfully pass a psychological examination.
- All Deputy Sheriff candidates are required successfully pass a medical examination, including a drug screen.
- Must maintain certifications in First Aid, CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) and AED (Automated External Defibrillation).