Deputy Police Chief
Open Until Filled
The Deputy Police Chief is required to perform complex administrative work directing the operational activities of the Police Department. Work involves overseeing the daily operations of the Police department and assisting the Police Chief in developing and carrying out the mission and vision for the department and the organization. Work is performed in conjunction with and in assistance to the Police Chief. Work in this class is extremely independent and requires a high level of responsibility and decision making.
Daily operations of the police department duties may include but is not limited to planning, assigning, and supervising the activities of the patrol unit, and coordinating activities of the patrol operations, detective operations, crime prevention operations, and interdepartmental training. The Deputy Police Chief serves as second in command to the Police Chief and has command responsibility over all other members of the department. Work is performed independently within established laws, policies, and regulations and is reviewed through conferences and reports.
The position will serve as the Acting Chief of Police in the absence of the Chief of Police and may be the Incident Commander during major events.
- Plans, assigns, supervises, and participates in the programs and activities of the police department.
- Develops and implements staffing plans; studies crime and other reports to determine trends and implements changes in organization and operating procedures to obtain the most effective results.
- Prepares or directs the preparation and maintenance of necessary records and reports.
- Supervises subordinates and highly complex criminal and other investigations.
- Exercises independent judgement in all matters pertaining to the day-to-day operations including the application of laws and ordinances.
- Reviews all use of Force reports and compiles a professional standard report monthly.
- Conducts and assigns Internal Affairs investigations.
- Assists the Chief in formulation of Budget and Creation and modification of Policy.
- Assumes full responsibility for the activities of the department during the absence of the Police Chief.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of four-year college degree program with course work in criminal justice, police science, police administration, law enforcement, management, or related disciplines.
- Requires the ability to meet all requirements for law enforcement employment as defined in West Virginia State Law.
- More than ten years of experience in law enforcement is required.
- Master’s Degree with relevant course work.