$43,790.24 – $71,872.32 Annually
$3,225 incentive bonus offered to those that are hired.
*conditions do apply
Under general supervision as a Deputy Sheriff assigned by the Oakland County Sheriff, performs duties within the Corrections and Satellite areas. As a Corrections Deputy I, performs routine security and custody activities. Assists in maintaining and enforcing procedures and regulations to ensure security is maintained at the jail and satellite facilities. Screens visitors, issues passes and ensures visitation regulations are maintained. Transports inmates to authorized facilities, i.e. Police Departments, Sheriff’s Offices, Courts, Prison and others ensuring that security procedures are followed. Monitors inmates during courtroom appearances or in hospitals or medical institutions to ensure security is maintained. Physically restrains individuals as necessary.
At the time of application, applicants must:
1. Must be at least 18 years old and be a United States Citizen.
2. Be a high school graduate or have a certificate of successful completion of the General
Education Development (G.E.D.) Test.
3. Have successfully completed the minimum standards outlined in the Michigan Sheriffs’
Coordinating and Training Council (LCOPAT and EMPCO Written Corrections Exams); OR
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess proof of completion of the standards above at the time of application must provide proof of completion to the Sheriff’s Office by the date of interview.
4. Have retired, resigned, or been laid off within the past twenty-four (24) months from a
County Sheriff’s Office within this state under circumstances that would qualify the person
for employment in Michigan as a Local Corrections Officer.
a. Provide verification of completion of the annual 20-hour In-Service training
requirement during the time the applicant was employed, or 20 hours of annual
training during the time following retirement or resignation.
b. If hired as a Corrections Officer in a Michigan County Sheriff’s Office prior to January 1,
2005, provide verification of being included on a “grandfather” list submitted to the
Council by a County Sheriff’s Office (Public Act 125 of 2003, as required by Section 12).
c. If hired as a Corrections Office after January 1, 2005, provide verification of completion
of the Michigan Local Corrections Officers Academy (Public Act 125 of 2003, as required
by Section 13 and established by the Council).
d. Submit a Recognition of Prior Training and Experience Form to the Council for review;
5. If a Michigan certified Local Corrections Officer transfers from one Michigan County
Sheriff’s Office to another Michigan County Sheriff’s Office, they are not subject to the
provisions listed above, as long as the following requirements are met:
The applicant has maintained and can verify their certification requirements, and can verify
meeting the minimum hiring standards that were in effect at the time of their original hire
6. Have no prior felony convictions. Misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case-by case basis to determine qualifying status. Domestic violence convictions are basis for
7. Possess a valid United States motor vehicle operator’s or chauffeur’s license. Out of
Country driver’s license holders will be required to obtain the appropriate valid State of
Michigan driver’ license within 60 days of hire.
8. Have at least corrected 20/20 vision in each eye, normal color vision and depth perception in both eyes; AND
9. Have normal corrected hearing in each ear per MCOLES standards; AND
10. Pass the complete examination, including the employment physical required for this classification; AND
11. Successfully complete the one-year probationary period.