Crime Scene Specialist
The purpose of this classification is to process crime scenes for the Police department.
Annual Range: $39,558 – $61,314
- Processes crime scenes; examines crime scenes for evidence; identifies, collects, and preserves physical evidence; performs crime scene photography and sketching; maintains control and chain-of-custody over physical evidence collected; ensures proper handling, packing, and transport of evidence to crime laboratories; and performs crime scene processing according to established rules, regulations and procedures.
- Processes evidence; tests, evaluates and compares trace evidence; utilizes established laboratory techniques and processes; and completes and submits reports regarding the testing, evaluation and comparing of evidence.
- Processes and examines latent print cards; utilizes the latest technology and methods available in the development of latent prints; and evaluates and identifies latent prints to known inked impressions.
- Documents all investigative information; prepares detailed case reports and records; enters/uploads information into department databases; and verifies accuracy and completeness of information.
- Participates in court activities; prepares cases for prosecution; and testifies in judicial proceedings regarding findings and procedures used in evidence collection and processing.
- Attends shift meetings, training sessions and seminars as required to remain knowledgeable of departmental operations, to promote improved job performance, and to stay current with changing policies, procedures, codes, investigation techniques, and criminal/civil case law.
- Operates and maintains a motor vehicle, digital camera, video camera, forensic processing tools and equipment, fingerprinting tools and equipment, laboratory tools and equipment, etc.
Associate degree in Crime Scene Investigation, Forensic Science or related field required; one year of experience in related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Specific License or Certification Required: Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.