Crime Scene Investigator
Under immediate supervision, is responsible for collecting, documenting, and preserving evidence at a crime scene. Working conditions are inside and outside with frequent exposure to temperature extremes, hazardous materials, bodily fluids, infectious diseases and unfavorable fumes, vapors, odors and may include operating in hazardous conditions which may necessitate the use of personal protective equipment such as gloves, protective clothing and respirators. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
• Evaluates crime scene and ensures it is well protected.
• Photographs and videotapes crime scene.
• Searches crime scene thoroughly for physical evidence.
• Collects, marks, and preserves physical evidence and latent fingerprints, occasionally lifting and carrying collection equipment weighing 50 pounds.
• Prepares diagram of crime scene and other reports.
• Presents forensic evidence in official proceedings.
• Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
• Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
• Applicants for this position must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of crime investigation techniques and procedures.
• Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
• Ability to analyze and collect physical evidence at a crime scene.
• Ability to identify and develop latent prints.
• Ability to sketch a crime scene.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and the general public.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
• Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.