Crime Analyst I
In this position, you will perform crime analysis and mapping work in support of Minneapolis Police Department crime prevention and investigation activities.
Salary: $56,913.56 – $78,693.28 Annually
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 01/27/20 11:59 PM Central Time
• Provide concise and detailed activity reports through compilation and review of criminal trend and pattern data to help identify the time, place, and characteristics of involved parties, modus operandi, and other data which can help investigators and help in directing deployment of staff.
• Perform tactical, strategic, operational analysis and enhance crime maps by incorporating information from the police information management systems (PIMS) and other sources to identify patterns and trends of criminal activity in the City within the assigned area.
• Perform systematic studies of crime and disorder problems (demographic, spatial, temporal factors) by reviewing police incident and arrests.
• Provide concise and detailed activity reports about criminal activities and crime statistics in order to identify and forecast crime patterns and trends.
• Detect and describe tactical, administrative, and strategic links, patterns, and trends in crime.
• Update maps and correct errors on maps as needed.
• Perform statistical and analytical research involving the use of computer applications, random statistical samplings, correlation, and probability studies, etc., and maintain databases, for the purpose of creating analytical reports.
• Communicate with the public, other City employees and outside law enforcement personnel to collect crime information.
• Use electronic spreadsheets, desktop publishing and statistical applications in support of public safety efforts of the police department.
• Develop, interpret, and distribute statistical reports on crime patterns.
• Produce written documents such as reports and crime analysis bulletins with clearly organized thoughts to disseminate crime statistics, suspect information and Modus Operandi patterns.
• Facilitate the weekly m-stat meeting by providing maps and crime pattern presentations and assisting staff in presenting information.
• Prepare and provide specialized reports on operations and policies as requested.
• Provide training in the use of map making software and crime analysis to other MPD staff.
• Lead and assists other staff in the approach and design of analytical review and the use of programs and computer technology to complete projects.
Bachelor's Degree in Business, Criminal Justice or equivalent.
Two years of closely related experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Applied knowledge of Tableau and Smartsheet