This position is responsible for a variety of administrative functions, studies, and research projects related to criminal activity; assists in collecting, compiling, and analyzing data from a variety of sources to identify and evaluate crime series, trends and patterns; assists in preparing crime summaries, statistical reports, spreadsheets, charts, maps, diagrams and graphs. The incumbent of this position must be proficient in Access and Excel Microsoft Suite, and possess a working knowledge of Spillman Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and Records Management System (RMS). The duties include performing a variety of specialized studies, as assigned.
• Ability to perform statistical research and analysis.
• Ability to compile and interpret statistics.
• Ability to collect, compile, interpret, and analyze raw data and make recommendations.
• Ability to track and present findings related to criminal activity, patterns, and trends.
• Ability to prepare predications of criminal activity based upon previously reported activity and an analysis of typical behavior patterns.
• Ability to generate reports, maps, charts, graphs, and other visual aids.
• Ability to respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
• Ability to interpret a variety of laws and codes.
• Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, and supporting crime analysis programs and databases.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
• Ability to organize and maintain historical records for future retrieval.
• Ability to work cooperatively with other departments, City officials, and outside agencies.
• Ability to respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries from the public, City staff, or other agencies on sensitive issues in areas of responsibility.
• Ability to demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with general public in sometimes difficult and trying circumstances (Customer Service).
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
• Ability to work accurately with detailed records and complex information.
• Ability to work independently.
• Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice, Political Science, Sociology or related field.
• Three (3) years of job-related experience.
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferred Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferred