Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term)
The Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term) performs non-sworn, duties in support of a variety of police operations. In addition, attends and participates in the Sacramento Police Academy or Community Service Officer Academy in order to receive basic law enforcement training in various laws, police procedures, law enforcement techniques, first aid, and acquires physical and emotional skills.
Salary: $53,010.67 Annually
Closing: 6/30/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
- The classification of Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term) is a recruiting and training level class used for qualified candidates to learn the duties of a Police Officer or Community Service Officer III in the Sacramento Police Department. Incumbents of this class undergo a formal, comprehensive training program in a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified Police Academy or Community Service Officer academy administered by the Sacramento Police Department to prepare for performing duties in support of police operations. Incumbents are expected to attend accredited college level courses in order to satisfy the minimum qualification requirements of the Police Officer classification within their limited-term appointment.
- Additionally, incumbents are expected to demonstrate satisfactory proficiency in the required physical agility testing component prior to and during the academy. On-going physical training will be a required skill set for any successful incumbent.
- Upon successful completion from a POST certified Basic Academy or Community Service Officer Academy, a Community Service Officer I (Limited Term) shall either be (1) advanced to Community Service Officer II or (2) advanced to the career classification of Community Service Officer III, or (3) advanced to the career classification of Police Officer. Employees shall not be classified as Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term) for more than one year from the date of hire unless the employee was unsuccessful in an Academy and the employee is invited to participate in an additional academy. Advancement to Police Officer or Community Service Officer II or III is dependent upon satisfactory job performance. Failure to successfully complete a POST certified Police Academy or Community Service Academy, and/or failure to meet satisfactory progress within the prescribed training period will be cause for termination.
- The Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term) class is distinguished from the Community Service Officer II in that the former is the non-career, recruiting and training-level classification for employees who are enrolled in or awaiting the commencement of an approved academy or are currently attending an approved academy and the latter is the non-career, recruiting and training-level classification for employees who have completed an approved academy.
- The Community Service Officer I (Limited-Term) is distinguished from the Police Officer Recruit classification in that the latter attends and participates in the Sacramento Police Academy while the former may attend the Sacramento Police Academy or a Community Service Officer Academy.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Education: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
Experience: No experience required.
Age: Must be at least 18 years of age by the time of appointment.