Chief of Police
Salary Range $90,571 – $110,000 (Depending upon Experience)
Currently we are conducting a national search for the next Chief of Police.
The Director, Public Safety & Security (Chief of Police) for the New College of Florida Police Department reports to the College’s Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration in all matters relating to the planning and execution of professional police and security services for the protection of the students, staff, faculty and visitors at locations comprising New College of Florida (NCF) and University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (USF SM) campus, with a secondary mission of protecting property. This is accomplished through effective community policing and enforcing certain NCF & USF SM rules and regulations as well as certain State and Federal laws.
The New College Campus Police Department, located on-site, provides a full range of police services 24 hours a day, throughout the year. All Campus Police Officers are certified by the State of Florida in accordance with Florida State Statute, Chapter 943. General services provided by the department include: mobile and foot patrol, criminal investigation of all misdemeanors and felony crimes committed on campus, traffic enforcement, crash investigation, emergency response during all types of emergencies and implementing crime prevention programs.
In addition to being ethical, well-qualified, experienced and showing respect for others, the next Chief of Police must also show:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and student success, as well as experience working with broadly diverse communities.
- Strong record of outreach and bridge-building with all stakeholders will be essential in developing relationships necessary to strengthen the University community.
- Demonstrated familiarity and preparation to offer leadership in complex areas.
- Record of displaying creativity in addressing complex issues.
- The NCF & USF SM community is a learning environment and expects its Chief of Police to look for innovative ways to collaborate with various University stakeholders to solve crime and quality of life issues, while respecting and protecting the vibrant and sometimes contentious exchange of ideas typical of a university campus.
- Collaboration with partner agencies on and off-campus in order to operate effectively within the larger Sarasota/Manatee area.
- Demonstrated track record of inter-agency collaboration which will greatly assist the Campus Police
- Department in further establishing itself as a valued partner in the region.
- Experience leading in a university environment and understanding university policing as well as having a strong understanding of best practices available to police in a university setting.
- Demonstrated track record of showing sensitivity when addressing matters of mental health.
Master’s degree and eight years of command experience in patrol, crime prevention, administrative or criminal investigations, or support services or executive training through the FBI National Academy or equivalent venue; or a bachelor’s degree and ten years of command experience in patrol, crime prevention, administrative or criminal investigations, or support services or executive training through the FBI National Academy or equivalent venue. Mandatory prior experience with a college or university law enforcement agency or department in a command position.
An understanding of the university law enforcement accreditation process and associated standards. Working knowledge of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security and Campus Crime Statistics Act.