Certified/Entry Level Police Officer OR Police Recruit
Rate of Pay: $22.38 – $32.72
Under immediate supervision, this entry-level position performs routine and specialized police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation, and related law enforcement and crime prevention activities to protect life and property within the City. Assignments within this rank include: Patrolman, Field Training Officer, School Resource Officer, K-9 Officer, Detective, Investigator, and Policewoman.
If the applicant does not currently hold a Peace Officer certification, receives academic training in the fundamentals of law enforcement and is assigned to various department operations until entry into the law enforcement academy. Entire responsibility of individual in this job category is to successfully complete the law enforcement academy in order to become a certified Police Officer.
- Enforce the laws and ordinances of the Federal, State, County, and City by performing security patrols of the city in motorized police equipment or on foot; traffic control; investigation; first aid at accidents; detection; investigation control; and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct.
- Maintain normal availability to respond to major incidents and emergencies by utilizing physical abilities which include but are not limited to high speed driving; pursuing criminals while on foot; carrying injured persons; climbing fences and walls; overcoming physical resistance of uncooperative or violent suspects; and standing for long periods of time while directing traffic at emergency scenes, fires, and special events.
- Investigate suspicious conditions and complaints by interviewing victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogating suspects; examining crime scenes; gathering and preserving evidence; and testifying and presenting evidence in court.
- Make arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances. Prepare reports of arrests made, investigations conducted, and unusual incidents observed. Transport prisoners to jail, hospital, and other facilities as needed. Assist other agencies and divisions in executing search or arrest warrants and surveillance.
- Maintain order in crowds and at public gatherings; escort parades and funerals. Undertake community oriented police work and assist citizens with such matters as locked or stalled vehicles, crime prevention, drug abuse resistance education, traffic safety, etc. Perform other related duties as assigned. Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Must be 21 years of age by date of examination. Must possess a valid Class C Texas Driver License. Vision 20/100 correctable to 20/20. Must have normal peripheral vision and be free from color blindness. Must not be currently under indictment for any criminal offense. Have not been convicted of an offense above the grade of a Class B Misdemeanor or a Class B Misdemeanor within the last 10 years. Have never been convicted of any family violence offense. Have not had a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge from any military service.
APPLICATION & DOCUMENTS DEADLINE: Friday, September 30, 2022 at 5:00 PM