Campus Resource Officer – Sworn Police
This position is within the public safety department and is charged with creating a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. The Law Enforcement/Campus Resource Officer must meet Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) certification. This position works to educate the campus community regarding safety and security, minimize risk for the college and enforce all college policies and procedures and enforcement of the laws of the State of Michigan. These responsibilities are performed in an ethical manner consistent with the college mission, vision, and values which include diversity, equality and inclusion.
This is an outside funded position.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Will function as a School Resource Officer (S.R.O.) for the Washtenaw Technical Middle College (W.T.M.C.)
• Work schedule will follow W.T.M.C. schedule. Time off will coincide with W.T.M.C. time off to include holidays, breaks, etc.
• Hours will be primarily Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Establish a culture on campus where the public safety department is part of the W.T.M.C. community and works closely with W.T.M.C. community members to provide for the safety and security of the students, staff, faculty and visitors.
• Provide campus patrols through foot patrol and motor vehicle operation (where applicable) in W.T.M.C. student areas. This includes presence every day at W.T.M.C. lunches.
• Investigate and file remedial reports of security and safety concerns involving W.T.M.C. students.
• Maintain and utilize applicable security systems such as but not limited to card access systems, CCTV, key control and radio communications as assigned.
• Provide medical services such as first aid, CPR and AED as needed and as trained.
• Enforce college rules and regulations on campus, which includes conducting investigations and completing/filing necessary documentation involving W.T.M.C. students, staff, and faculty.
• Maintain building security by locking and unlocking College buildings and disarming and arming security alarms according to scheduled times.
• Coordinate with non-sworn public safety staff.
• Regulation and monitoring of parking conditions. Assisting students and employees that are locked out of their vehicles/classrooms and assist with jump starts.
• Report fire and safety hazards on campus.
• Provide lost and found property services.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Associate degree required, OR equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
• Successfully pass a thorough background investigation, drug screening, psychological exam, and physical examination.
• Possess a valid Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) police certification or have met the requirements of MCOLES certification upon hire.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a law enforcement officer OR experience working in a college/university as a non-sworn public safety officer for a minimum of ten (10) years and be certifiable upon hire by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES).
• Extensive knowledge and experience in police department operations which should include investigations, patrol, community policing, evidence collection, leadership, and modern-day policing principles.
• Must maintain an acceptable driving record as required by the college insurer.
• Ability to professionally and confidentially investigate sensitive issues at all levels within the campus and to effectively present findings.
• Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
• Strong report-writing skills.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience working in a school environment, training as a school resource officer, and certification through the National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO).
• Certification in defensive tactics and medical services such as first aid, CPR, and AED.