Bailiffs are responsible for maintaining peace, order and security in the courtroom by providing assistance to the judge and other courtroom officials and monitoring courtroom proceedings. The normal starting salary is $12.45 per hour.
We do not have any vacancies at this time.
- Maintain security by inspecting and securing the courtroom, surrounding hallways and doors, and the judge's chamber before and after court sessions.
- Maintain order by observing courtroom proceedings to prevent unnecessary disruptions and taking custody of individuals as instructed by the judge.
- Provide assistance to the jury panel by giving instructions, answering general questions, ensuring no contact occurs with unauthorized materials or persons, and escorting the jury to and from the deliberation room.
- Provide assistance to the judge and courtroom personnel by reviewing courtroom documents for completion, serving legal papers, and by filing, retrieving and faxing documents.
- Respond to medical emergencies as appropriate.
- Perform additional duties as required.
- Possession of a Class A Peace Officer License by the State of Missouri, Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Commission or experience in courtroom security or any equivalent combination of training and experience along with a current, valid driver's license.
- The Peace Officer License is not the same as a Security Officer License.
EQUIPMENT USED: (Illustrative examples)
- Personal vehicle; may use handcuffs and firearm.
- Extensive walking and standing for long periods, sitting, working in a courtroom environment and exposure to verbal abuse and hostile individuals.
- Current CPR (Adult and Child) and AED certification is required within 90 days of employment.
- Qualification with the use of a weapon may be required for some positions in this job class.